Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
Ambassador Program

Home Page WLF YAP Forums Ambassadors 2024 Module 02 Activity 1: Discuss illiteracy rates Reply To: Module 02 Activity 1: Discuss illiteracy rates

• Zoha F.

July 11, 2024 at 9:23 am
    • Do you know the illiteracy rates in your country?
    • How could you reduce illiteracy rates in your community? (school, university, or city)

I initially had only some idea of illiteracy in Australia, but was unaware of the exact figures. After some research I’ve found that over 40% of Australian Adults have literacy levels below what is considered necessary for everyday tasks with 14.1% having very low levels overall. As well as this, 25% of people who speak English as an additional language posses literacy level at level 1 or below. Additionally, as of 2021, only 81% of Indigenous year 3 students met the national minimum standard for reading, with the percentage dropping to only 66% by year 9, and dropping steepingly more-so in rural areas.

To reduce illiteracy rates in the community, it’s essential to first identify the factors that are causing it. From my research I can conclude that the major factors leading to illiteracy in Australia are language barriers, socioeconomic disadvantages, geographical isolation, inter-generational illiteracy and limited educational opportunities for older adults. The first step to reduce these rates is to raise awareness on the issue. Library outreaches can get the community involved and allow for access to a wide range of materials to host literacy workshops. Allowing easy access to educational resources is essential as it invites people from all ages to actively expose themselves to books. This can be done through mobile libraries, book giveaways and free tutoring. As well as this, local schools and universities can work together to tailor teaching methods to meet the diverse needs of students and watch out for students who lack parental encouragement to learn.