Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
Ambassador Program

Home Page WLF YAP Forums Ambassadors 2024 Module 02 Activity 1: Discuss illiteracy rates Reply To: Module 02 Activity 1: Discuss illiteracy rates

• Izabella

July 8, 2024 at 8:45 pm

1. I did not know the illiteracy rate in the United States until I did further research. According to ThinkImpact, 21% of adults in the US are illiterate and 54% have literacy below a 6th grade level.

2. I believe promoting access to books and spreading awareness about the impacts of illiteracy could be a start in helping reduce illiteracy rates in my community. Making sure people are not left behind because of their socioeconomic status, race, and/or gender is crucial, and more focus also needs to be put on adults facing illiteracy. Ways to make progress towards reducing illiteracy include educating people on how big of an issue illiteracy is through social media campaigns, fundraisers, and educational material, and connecting people to resources that can help them in their own journey to literacy and/or helping others achieve literacy.