Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
Ambassador Program

Home Page WLF YAP Forums Ambassadors 2024 Module 02 Activity 1: Discuss illiteracy rates Reply To: Module 02 Activity 1: Discuss illiteracy rates

• Sarina

July 2, 2024 at 6:38 pm

1) Prior to starting this course, I did not know the illiteracy rates in my country. After researching, I found that in the United States, 21% of adults have low literacy rates, based on the PIAAC literacy survey. 66% of adults with low literacy skills were actually born in the US, despite common misconceptions.

2) To improve literacy rates in my community, it is vital to bring awareness to communities about the importance of literacy. Then, we have to provide opportunities for students to learn how to read and write. These opportunities must be affordable or even free. These opportunities can come in different forms – such as tutoring or even group lessons after school or work to better cater to the demographic in need. These lessons can be for all age groups as well, as every individual deserves the chance to learn how to read and write.