Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
Ambassador Program

Home Page WLF YAP Forums Ambassadors 2024 Module 02 Activity 1: Discuss illiteracy rates Reply To: Module 02 Activity 1: Discuss illiteracy rates

• Pethmin

June 28, 2024 at 2:35 am

1- Do you know the illiteracy rates in your country?

2- How could you reduce illiteracy rates in your community? (school, university, or city)Do you know the illiteracy rates in your country?
    How could you reduce illiteracy rates in your community? (school, university, or city)

1. No I was unaware as to how the illiteracy rates were traveling in my country. After a quick google search, it states that 14.1% of Australia is illiterate with over 40% considered to be below the threshold to get by everyday life.

2. Reducing illiteracy is not a simple task. Despite this, to promote engagement into reading, I believe ensuring free and compulsory primary education, implementing adult literacy programs, establishing community learning centers, and encouraging volunteer teaching are key steps. Investing in teacher training, providing financial incentives and support services, and utilizing e-learning platforms and educational apps can enhance learning opportunities. Raising awareness through media campaigns, developing language-specific and culturally relevant programs, and collaborating with NGOs, international organizations, and the private sector are also crucial. A strong policy framework with adequate funding and effective monitoring can ensure the success of these initiatives.