Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
Ambassador Program

Home Page WLF YAP Forums Ambassadors 2024 Module 02 Activity 1: Discuss illiteracy rates Reply To: Module 02 Activity 1: Discuss illiteracy rates

• Poppy

July 10, 2024 at 12:22 am
    • Do you know the illiteracy rates in your country?

According to the Australian Research Alliance for Children and Youth,<b style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit;”>44% of Australian adults don’t have the functional literacy skills they need to cope with the demands of everyday life’. <div>

<div>

• How could you reduce illiteracy rates in your community? (school, university, or city)

As a teacher, I have the opportunity to contribute to improving children’s skills in literacy daily, through both my own practice and collaborating with other educators to improve their practice. I mainly work in the field of education and providing other educators with opportunities to improve their literacy teaching. I facilitate programs at school as well for children to be taken out of class to have one-on-one external support in literacy. This improvement in literacy has shown a drastic increase in those children’s ability to engage in other areas of their learning across the Australian Curriculum. I can continue to help reduce illiteracy rates by continuing my work in education, developing my own understandings of best practice, collaboration with other teachers, and professional development.

</div></div>