Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
Ambassador Program

Home Page WLF YAP Forums Ambassadors 2024 Module 02 Activity 1: Discuss illiteracy rates Reply To: Module 02 Activity 1: Discuss illiteracy rates

• Melisa

July 2, 2024 at 7:43 am

1. Do you know the illiteracy rates in your country?
    I was unaware of the illiteracy rates in Australia until recently, when learning about this program which lead me to do my own research. 12.6% of adults have level 1 literacy skills, meaning these adults have the literacy skills of children aged between 5 – 7. Additionally, 20.1% of adults have level 1 numeracy skills.

2. How could you reduce illiteracy rates in your community? (school, university or city)

In order to reduce illiteracy rate in society, I believe it is immensely important to firstly bring awareness to communities about the risks and barriers caused by illiteracy and how many people struggle with it so that more of the public is able to empathise, take part in and push for change. Apart from this, it is important to ensure that high quality and accessible education is available at affordable prices if not free. At the moment, we are lacking in the number of schools in a our rural communities making it harder for children in these areas to access education and prevent illiteracy, thus it is important we provide adequate government funding to ensure schools are established in these areas so that no one is disadvantaged because of where they live.