Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
Ambassador Program

Home Page WLF YAP Forums Ambassadors 2024 Module 02 Activity 1: Discuss illiteracy rates Reply To: Module 02 Activity 1: Discuss illiteracy rates

• Avila

June 28, 2024 at 3:34 pm

<div>

1. Do you know the illiteracy rates in your country?

In the United States, 130 million adults in the U.S. have low literacy skills. Persons aged 16 to 74 (54%) read below the equivalent of a sixth-grade level. Insufficient/low literacy rates go hand in hand with poverty and incarceration. That is one of the many reasons this must change. I got these statistics from this website (https://www.apmresearchlab.org/10x-adult-literacy) which also has information about differences in state funding.

Additionally, in my home state, Massachusets more than half of third graders (as of 2019) scored below proficient on the statewide standardized reading test.

1. How could you reduce illiteracy rates in your community? (school, university, or city)

Reducing illiteracy rates is far from a simple task. I deeply believe that educating others about the problem is the best solution. The more people who are aware of the problem, the larger the force combating illiteracy will be. People who know the statistics will want to get involved in the issue and help people in underprivileged communities gain strong literacy skills. This will inspire more action, fundraising, and book distribution.

</div>